This adorable little monkey is five months old!! She is becoming more and more fun every day. In this past month we’ve enjoyed Cadence’s first April Fools Day (uneventful) Easter (so much fun!) Tax Day (…?) and Earth Day (which happened to be our spring heat wave…sooooo hoooooooot!). Here are some of the highlights from the life of Cadence last month:
- Rollie pollie ollie over here is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to crawling. Can you believe it!? Crawling!?? She has mastered rolling to the point that she now rolls across the room. I don’t even know why I put down blankets anymore because as soon as I put her down, she starts rolling and is half-way across he room in the time it takes me to get a glass of water. And now, in addition to rolling, she is propping herself up on her elbows, pulling her knees up under her body and pushing herself forward…..on to her face, mind you, but forward nonetheless! It’s only a matter of days…maybe a week or so until she has the strength and coordination to straighten out those arms and fully support her body weight while she crawls all over my house. Oh the baby proofing that has to happen! Gates! Gates everywhere!
- Sleeping. I am happy to report that her craptastic sleep habits I reported in her 4 month post ceased shortly after I wrote it. To recap, she was going to bed around 6, waking up to eat at 12, 2, and 4 before finally waking up for the day at 6am. Well, earlier this month she came down with a head cold, which my three-years as a mother has taught me means even more waking up at night. However, this head cold did the complete opposite—she slept BETTER than she had been sleeping all month! Like, only waking up ONCE between 7PM and 7AM… OMGWTFHALLELUJAH!! For the majority of this month she has only been waking up once or twice a night. It has been dreamy! (literally) In the last week, though, her incredible sleep habits ceased and she is now waking up 3-4 times a night again. I’m blaming her rolling, because she’s now rolling around her crib, too. She’s a tummy sleeper (shhh! don’t tell anyone!) and every time she wakes up now, I find her lying on her back crying like a sad little turtle. I have no idea if she is rolling over in her sleep and waking herself up, or if she wakes up and rolls herself over just because she can. All I know is that she is waking up a lot…and I am very tired…again.
- Despite the frequent waking up, she is still one of the happiest babies I’ve ever seen. Even if she’s crying her head off, lying on her back in her crib, the second she sees my head peaking over the side of her crib, her tears turn into a big ol’ grin and she’s back to her happy self.
- She found her feet this past month!! I love it when babies find their feet…SO CUTE! And she will NOT leave them alone! I have to have toys at the ready during each diaper change so I can get her to put her legs down long enough for me to fasten her diaper. haha!
- While I did manage to snap a photo of her sitting up unassisted, this is not yet a mastered skill. She’s getting better, but mostly her sitting up is more of a lean over her feet until she falls over. haha! Oh well, crawling first, then sitting.
- Her favorite noise at the moment is what we call “raspberries”. She presses her lips together and blows and inevitably spits/drools all over the place. Adorable!
- She received a Sophie Giraffe toy for Easter and freaking loves this thing. She will grab it and eat it and drop it and pick it back up again and again and again. I think it’s hilarious that I held out so long to buy this toy because of it’s intense popularity—clearly there is a reason it’s so popular.
- She continues to grow (obviously)! She doesn’t see the pediatrician this month, but our bathroom scale says she weighs around 16.5 lbs. That’s not too far off because all of her 3-6 month clothing is getting super tight! I think it’s her length more than her girth that’s stretching the bounds of her onesies, but we’ll have to wait until next month to see if the official measurement stats agree.
I’m sure there will be a post with pictures and videos as soon as she starts crawling, so you have that to look forward to. In the meantime, here are some pictures of Cadence from this past month.