Caprese salad is one of my favorite dishes, especially in the summer, with home-grown tomatoes and basil picked right off the plant. Add some fresh cracked pepper, coarse sea salt, and creamy mozzarella, what’s not to love!?
Summer is gearing up, and while my tomatoes and basil aren’t quite ready for harvest (lets be honest, I haven’t even planted them yet) these bright, warm, Spring evenings still make me crave this fresh, healthy meal.
So here’s my solution: The Grilled Caprese Sandwich!
Not-so-flavorful tomatoes get a boost from the pesto sauce, and you have my permission to buy the less-expensive mozzarella, because you won’t know the difference once this sandwich is grilled to melty-perfection.
Can’t wait to hear what you think of this!
- FOR SANDWICHES
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Prepared Pesto (see recipe below)
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 8 slices of bread
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- FOR PESTO
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: FOOD PROCESSOR OR BLENDER
- First, make the pesto sauce: In your food processor or blender, combine the basil and the pine nuts, pulse a few times. Add the garlic, pulse a few more times, then slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides if needed. Add the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and pulse a few more times. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Now make the sandwiches: Spread pesto sauce on one side of each slide of bread.
- Top with a slice of mozzarella.
- Top with tomato slices.
- Assemble slices of bread, with ingredient-sides together
- Brush each side of the sandwich with olive oil
- Heat grill on medium-high heat.
- Place assembled sandwiches on the grill for 4-6 minutes—until the cheese starts to melt.
- Carefully flip each sandwich over, to grill the other side of the sandwich, for another 4-6 minutes.
- Remove sandwiches from the grill, let cool slightly, then enjoy!
My girls love these sandwiches, and any meal that comes with NO COMPLAINING is a winner in my book!